Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
money money money money! —A.P.
- alykin-skywalker likes this
- releaseyourlove reblogged this from lohanthony
- serenadesofsmiles likes this
- attilathehutt reblogged this from lotusblitz
- disneyparis likes this
- catch-18 likes this
- wendyapua likes this
- unoriginal-fucker reblogged this from stillnotahobbit and added:
- monsstop likes this
- veronica997 reblogged this from out-bloody-standing
- loveenorma reblogged this from rebecaolguin
- mynerina reblogged this from altered-judgement
- sydneybearrr likes this
- rexypoop reblogged this from quocookie
- penisandpolitics likes this
- grungemilkmaid likes this
- jshabyta reblogged this from xgotcrunchyricex
- rnguyen-trieu likes this
- preprica likes this
- jacrz reblogged this from an-u-wat
- darrencrissinmypants reblogged this from steadyasthestars-inthewood
- intemporell likes this
- sanitysleeps likes this
- steadyasthestars-inthewood reblogged this from redheadedmadness
- heelsanddiaperbags reblogged this from aloveleelady
- disneymeg reblogged this from medicinalwasteland
- jmonayy reblogged this from justinancheta
- zaxie11 likes this
- mudbloodish reblogged this from andrew-garfield
- heyheyitsianj likes this
- mogarthereadinator reblogged this from drawing-a-straight-number-nine
- oh-so-smart-blonde reblogged this from iphoneicarly
- junioryearandapclasses reblogged this from andrew-garfield
- edgurlickscats reblogged this from itsbeenoneweek
- cumwars likes this
- iloveulouistomlinson likes this
- xoxofantasyy reblogged this from finallyking
- the-great-gabbity reblogged this from eaglesbecomevultures
- lexnugget reblogged this from useless--drivel
- jibblesandwich likes this
- kittenbeanie reblogged this from redheadedmadness
- theargonist reblogged this from peace-after-revolution
- theargonist likes this
- themohawkqueen reblogged this from bryanthebassist
- adventuresinportlandia reblogged this from snowinoureyes
- lotusblitz reblogged this from peace-after-revolution
- jazmiinnnnn reblogged this from p0pingtags
- redheadedmadness reblogged this from winterofcontent
- redheadedmadness likes this
- piddleprotreats likes this